When it comes to time killing, the Luxor series is unquestionably amongst the bests. Right here I'm writing about Luxor 2, because I'm playing with this part of the game series now, but almost everything is true for the other Luxor games as well.
If you have something important to do, for example to learn for exams, to write an assignment for a job or course, to write a term paper, or really anything else, then Luxor seems ideal for gamers to relax a bit during work. It has stages and levels, so it's quite well split, but that's exactly where the evil lies behind. It's called: "Just one more level..."
Believe me when I'm saying, that it's even more dangerous than the "just one more quest" thing in RPGs. The trap is that it seems much more innocent. Because it can take only 3-5 minutes to finish a level when you're at the beginning of the map. For first it's easy to complete the stages as well, but it will get longer soon enough to realize, that "just one more stage" isn't the best way to make yourself believe, that you don't actually waste a whole lot of time on not doing your job. But when it's "just one more level", you can easily say to yourself, that it's nothing. The worst is that the more you play, the harder it gets to stop. You'll get more and more eager to get through the levels which of course become more difficult as you proceed in the game.
But let's see now what Luxor 2 HD really is. The main idea of the game is that you have to shoot out colored spheres pushed further by a scarab. When it reaches the little pyramid like thing and starts to enter, you loose a life, and have to start the current level again. You need to have at least 3 matching colors next to each other, counting the one you'll shoot between them as well. You can get powerups as helpers, and coins from which you need 30 to get 1 life.
After the starter screen, you add your name and are able to start the game immediately. You can choose from 3 options: Adventure, Survival and Practice. Survival can be fun, but that is just about doing one level which gets harder frequently and struggling to stay alive. Adventure takes the longest to run, but of course it's the most fun.
When you choose adventure, you can also pick the difficulty. You can play the game on casual, normal and expert level. I'm struggling with the expert level right now. When you run out of lives, you can still continue the game, but you loose your score, and it's just not like when you make it from the beginning anyway. So when the game is over I always start the whole map again.
The backgrounds of the levels are beautifully made with for example floating water, burning candlesticks or with the effect of moving on an uneven surface. Each of them has an Egyptian theme, hence the whole subject matter of the game. The details make the experience more pleasant and enjoyable.
You also have a chance to choose an aim assist in the options. The default setting is retical, but I personally don't think it gives you too much help. I like to use beam as you can see in the pictures I made during the game.
Luxor 2 is full of extras. For example after you finish the last levels of each stage you'll get a bonus level, where you have to shoot out the spheres one by one. Naturally it also becomes more difficult as you proceed.
You can also have badges for achievements, so there is always something more to reach for. Basically the time is unlimited what you can spend on this game, not to mention, that there are many more pieces of this game series out in the market now.
In the next picture you can see where I am on the map now. I've just reached the last stage, and it has actually taken about 4 or 5 times to got here. I have plans to make videos about how I fight my way through the last levels of the game, and I'll put them on YouTube of course. I'll let you know on Twitter and Facebook when this happens.
For Luxor you'll need agility, logic and strategy, but all of these will come with time as you get more professional in this game. Just don't give up too early. ;)
After all this is a great game. Have fun guys! I'll go now and play just one more level before I'll get back to my studies. ;) xD












No comments:
Post a Comment